The Horizontal Financial Statement exercise is designed to simultaneously impart Excel skills and reinforce Introductory Financial Accounting concepts. Students pay $9.95 for the exercise and are guided through a video with numbered steps.
Each student is assigned a unique 4-digit number known as their Spreadsheet ID for use during the exercise. This ID number is incorporated several times into the exercise and helps ensure that each student turns in their own work.
The students submit their work to us and we handle all of the grading. We give you three scores:
- Completion: This score indicates if the student attempted a given step.
- Accuracy: This score indicates carried out the step accurately.
- Combined: The average of the two Completion and Accuracy scores.
Within one week of an assignment’s due date we provide instructors with a spreadsheet showing all student results. Partial credit in our scoring is given if a student at least attempts a step. Instructors determine final credit for each student, and whether late submissions are allowed. Students receive written feedback confirming which steps were completed successfully, as well as providing guidance on steps that they did not attempt or did not complete correctly.
Some instructors give more weight to the Completion score than the Accuracy score, while other instructors use the combined average when determining credit. We’re happy to provide any additional information that can help you as an instructor.
- Exercise Video
- Purchase instructions – to share with your students
- Exercise handouts – both Windows and Mac versions – We prefer students watch the video rather than use the PDF instructions. The video includes detailed demonstrations, check figures, steps and discussion.
- Excel workbook – the students will use to complete the exercise